Featured Post

Welcome

Hello. Finding this makes it likely that you've had some similar thoughts to those of my own, that playing a He Man/Eternia/MOTU table...

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Welcome

Hello.

Finding this makes it likely that you've had some similar thoughts to those of my own, that playing a He Man/Eternia/MOTU tabletop RPG would be super fun. Maybe you've looked around for one and had no luck. Maybe you found something, but it wasn't exactly what you were looking for. Whatever the tale may be, I hope this is the place for you to find that gem of an RPG that you've been looking for.

A bit about me... in relation to Masters of the Universe (MOTU)...

I've been a fan of MOTU since childhood. Growing up in the 80s made this nearly impossible to avoid. The show was on a lot and I was drawn in by the swords and planets genre, the positive messages, the heroics, and the cast of colorful characters. Of course, I loved the toys, too. They were unlike any other action figure and, despite the oddity of them (I mean, who thought up those bow legs and over sized torsos?? That perpetual thumbs up?) they were awesome. A lot of hours were spent playing with them.

Since then, I've watched every episode of the original He Man series, the She Ra series, and the He Man and the Masters of the Universe series. I've taken some notes and kept track of characters. In my posts here, I may reference specific episodes and you can track them down if you want. I think this game can only be enhanced by the players/GM's increased familiarity with the shows. Some of my favorite characters are the lesser known ones.

My disclaimer...

After all of that, it should be mentioned that this site and the posts contained herein are not affiliated with Filmation, Mattel, or any other agency or person that owns copyright over the brand. This is strictly a fan site. It is for personal use only and no monetary gain should be made over any of the work here. I made it strictly because I am a huge MOTU fan and I also love tabletop RPGs. So, please enjoy.

Rules for playing my MOTU game...

The rules system you use is totally up to you. I provide here a foundation for making a character or making a character from an existing rules set more MOTUish. I think the info I've worked on will help the GM make a world feel more Eternia-esk, but Eternia is basically a swords and planets style world that is a little more heavy on the fantasy elements. There are a lot of places on-line and elsewhere that you can find some pretty sweet maps of Eternia or Etheria.

When I've played this game it's been to achieve a "beer and pretzels" style and I'm very familiar with 2nd Ed. AD&D, so that's the rules set I've typically used. Coming up with basic rules for the powers has been a fun and quick project for my players and hasn't hindered the game at all. I've preferred a fast and loose style of play for this type of game and it has worked. Hopefully, as you read further, you'll get a sense of what I mean.

Other systems I think would be easy to incorporate include FUDGE (check out Gatecrashers, specifically), Risus: The Anything RPG, or Chaosium's Basic Role Playing system (BRP). Otherwise select a system you're familiar with and fill in the blanks, you can do it. Have fun. That's the most important thing.

Cheers

-Jason


No comments:

Post a Comment